Join The Economist Product Design team
We’re currently hiring for two Product Designers in London.
The Economist has been published since September 1843 to take part “in a severe contest between intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress”. This mission continues to guide our coverage: we publish it every week in the newspaper.
We also meet our audiences where they are, and provide a carefully selected global mix of stories whenever, wherever and however they need. The Product team is enabling this shift towards digital by creating content products across web, app, podcasts and newsletters as well as building seamless customer journeys to deliver subscriber growth.
With new product leadership and an ambitious growth plan, it’s a really exciting time to be at The Economist. Which means I’m looking for folks to join me on this journey as we grow the Product Design team in London. We’re currently looking for two Product Designers.
What we’re looking for:
As a Lead Product Designer, you’ll be leading and managing designers across our Customer Journeys product area. This is currently a team of 4 designers who work in our registrations, conversions, subscriber engagement and my account teams. You will pair with peers in engineering and product management to raise the bar of design, experience and product thinking in teams that are re-imagining and optimising crucial steps in our subscription funnel and increasing subscriber engagement and retention.
As a Product Designer focussing on Subscriber Engagement , you’ll be experimenting with ways to build habits with subscribers across our app, website and newsletters. This team is responsible for increasing engagement with our written, audio narrated and podcast content through subscriber only features and benefits.
If you want to know a little bit more about the Product Design team at The Economist before applying, here’s our mission and shared values.
We create experiences that deliver indispensable analysis to the world’s most enquiring minds.
As makers and collaborators, we connect the needs of users, editorial and commercial to bring our unparalleled journalism to life–whenever and wherever our audiences need.
We’re one team
- We measure ourselves as one team over a set of individuals
- We help each other and harness our collective skills to raise the bar of design
- We make the abstract real by showing, not telling
- We prototype by default to communicate ideas internally (to the business) and externally (to users)
- We seek ideas and opinions from others by collaborating with users, stakeholders and other disciplines
- We work in the open and share our knowledge and expertise freely
We’re never done
- We use research to learn and assess, ensuring we’re designing the right thing as well as designing the thing right
- We continuously look at ways we can improve the design team, our individual strengths and the products we make
If you think you are qualified for any of the open roles but don’t necessarily tick every box, please submit an application. The links to the full job ads are above, but send me a message on twitter if you have any questions about the roles.